Centrally manage your applications
Microsoft Application Virtualization (App-V), a core component of the Microsoft Desktop Optimization Pack for Software Assurance, transforms applications into centrally managed virtual services that are never installed and don’t conflict with other applications.
In a physical environment, every application depends on its OS for a range of services, including memory allocation, device drivers, and much more. Incompatibility between an application and its OS can be addressed by either server virtualization or presentation virtualization—but for incompatibility between two applications installed on the same instance of an OS, you need application virtualization. Learn more about the cost savings of App-V.
Microsoft Application Virtualization: Advantages
- Streams applications on demand over the Internet or via the corporate network to desktops, terminal servers, and laptops.
- Automates and simplifies the application management lifecycle by significantly reducing regression and application interoperability testing.
- Accelerates Windows 7 and application deployments by reducing the image footprint.
- Reduces the end-user impacts associated with application upgrades, patching, and terminations. No reboots required, no waiting for applications to install, and no need to uninstall when retiring applications.
- Enables controlled application use when users are completely disconnected.
- App-V—combined with Windows 7, Microsoft Office 2010, and Microsoft System Center—delivers a seamless user experience, streamlined physical and virtual application deployment, and simplified application management through the same people, process, and technologies.