Configuring LDAP (the Lightweight Directory Access Protocol) was the most testing piece of research I’ve had to do for a while, this is where the most mis-information was to be had. The best piece of advice, for Active Directory connections, is to get to know ‘dsquery’.
Normally in directory services you would expect something that contains users and groups would be an ‘Organisational Unit’ or OU, but in Active Directory the Users ‘OU’ is actually know by ‘CN=Users’, it wants to be known by its ‘Common Name’. But if you create an Organisational Unit then it will be know as ‘OU=’. Also I found in some cases the Attribute Names (OU, DC etc) in the Distinguished Name (the whole thing together) had to be in upper case.
However, for more on LDAP see the Wiki.
In Active Directory I;
- Created an OU called VCO
- Created a user called ‘adbrowser’
- Created a group called ‘vcoadmins’,
- Created a user called student01
- Made student01 a member of vcoadmins.
I then used dsquery to establish how the objects were being addressed;
So, to make sure I got this correct I used DOS ’Mark’, and ‘Enter’ to copy the path and used it for configuration.
Now we can select LDAP;
We can now complete the page based on the information from Active Directory;
So, with that we have authentication sorted out, next it is onto configuring the database.